During my professional career, I have performed hundreds of bird surveys, as well as insect inventories and botanical assessments. I have extensive experience with the flora and fauna of the Upper Midwest, and have a Federal master bird banding permit and a State of Michigan Endangered Species Permit.
I am available for surveys of this type in southeast Michigan, as well as help with writing and editing technical reports. Some examples of my work product are below:
- Craves, J.A, R.A. Wolinski, V. Cavalieri, K. Hall, D.J. Flaspohler, M.J. Monfils, and S. Sjogren. 2015. Recommendations of the Technical Advisory Committee (Birds) for Endangered and Threatened Species in Michigan. Report to the Michigan Dept. Natural Resources, Wildlife Div., Lansing, MI. 115 pp.
- Craves, J. A., and D. J. Susko. 2011. Mute Swans on the lower Detroit River, winter 2010-2011. Report to the Friends of the Detroit River. 12 pp.
- Craves, J. A. 2011. Multiple bird species accounts in A.T. Chartier, J.J. Baldy, and J.M. Brenneman, editors. The Second Michigan Breeding Bird Atlas. Kalamazoo Nature Center. Kalamazoo, MI.
- Craves, J. A., and D. J. Susko. 2010. Mute Swans: an ecological overview with an emphasis on the lower Detroit River. Report to the Friends of the Detroit River. 93 pp.
- Craves, J. A. 2008. Insect Inventory at the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge, Humbug Marsh Unit, 2008. Report to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge and the International Wildlife Refuge Alliance, Grosse Ile, MI. 14 pp.
- Craves, J. A. 2007. Baseline inventory of Odonata at the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge, Humbug Marsh Unit. Final Report. CCS MOA #2007 CCS-98. USFWS Region 3, Fort Snelling, MN.
- Craves, J. A. 2006. Thirty years of the Rockwood Christmas Bird Count, 1975-2004. Report to the U.S. Fish Wild. Ser. Great Lakes Coastal Program. East Lansing, MI. 37 pp.